Student life can be challenging at times, especially when it comes to meals. Sometimes you just want to make your own food and then you are stuck with just a microwave. Luckily there are a lot of healthy food you can prepare in this little convenience oven, says Chantel Walker, a dietician at Imagine Dietitians in Stellenbosch. Here are some of her favorites for students to try:
- ½ tsp oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoon milk
- 2 Tablespoons chopped tomato
- Salt, pepper, herbs
- 1 wholewheat wrap
- 2 Tablespoon Cottage cheese
Oil a microwave-proof bowl. Add the eggs, milk, tomato and spices and mix well. Place in microwave for about 1min, stopping every 10-15 seconds to beat the eggs. If it is not yet cooked through, microwave for a bit longer. Spread the cottage cheese in the wrap and top with the eggs. Fold and enjoy.
Optional: add jalapenos/baby spinach/black beans/avocado
- Always swop white starches for wholewheat options such as wholewheat wraps, brown bread, brown pita etc.
- Add extra nonstarchy vegetables to keep you fuller for longer: spinach, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, etc.
- Add an extra egg white for extra protein without the added fat
MICROWAVE MACARONI & CHEESE
- ½ cup wholewheat macaroni
- ½ cup water
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons cheese: mozzarella + feta
- 2 tablespoons diced tomato
- Broccoli: steamed in the microwave
Mix the pasta, water and salt in a deep microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 3-4 minutes. Stop every minute or so to stir and to prevent the water from overflowing. Add the milk, cottage cheese, cheese and tomato and mix through. Microwave for another 30 seconds to a minute. Mix through the broccoli and enjoy.
Optional: add tuna or any other steamed vegetable such as baby marrow, peppers, cauliflower, mushrooms etc.
- The toppings (vegetables and protein) should always be more than the pasta in a pasta dish
- Cottage cheese is a healthy replacement for cream cheese or white sauce
HEALTHY APPLE DESSERT
- 1 apple: core removed and cut into wedges
- 1 Tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 teaspoon sweetener
- 1tsp cinnamon
Place ingredients in a microwavable bowl with a lid (or place a plate over) and mix together.
Microwave for 2-3minutes until apple and raisins are soft. Eat as is or add a spoon of double-thick yogurt on top.